Last year, our comprehensive study – Seizing the GDPR Advantage: From mandate to high-value opportunity – established that compliance with data protection and privacy regulations can be a source of competitive advantage for organizations.
It has now been over a year since Europe’s General Data Privacy Regulation (GDPR) came into effect and we wanted to understand how companies are coming to terms with the regulation and its implications. For this latest study, we conducted a follow-up survey to assess the current state of play and to compare and contrast the characteristics of firms that are compliant with the regulation against those that are not.
To achieve these goals, we:
- Surveyed 1,100 compliance, privacy, data protection, and IT executives across ten countries and eight sectors
- Conducted in-depth interviews with executives who are experts on data protection and privacy regulations and practices
- Analyzed existing and proposed data protection and privacy regulations worldwide to explore not only how organizations are dealing with regulations that already exist, but also how they are preparing for those that are pending.
In this report, we examine:
- The current state of compliance with existing regulations and the level of preparedness for upcoming regulations
- The challenges to achieving and maintaining compliance
- The higher-than-expected benefits of embracing data protection and privacy regulations as an opportunity rather than merely a compliance exercise
- What organizations can do to flourish in the face of increasing regulation, regardless of compliance maturity