Automation and AI are changing the purpose and ways of people at work for good, addressing challenges across the business.
Automation and AI are changing the purpose of people at work. As technology performs more and more complex tasks, the role of a worker transforms from “just” being a part of a business function to addressing challenges across the business. Peer-to-peer platforms increase transparency, dexterity, and connectivity across any role or organization. AI supports the dynamic matching of people’s skills and interests with the job to be done. Freelance at scale is the new employment model in the Gig Economy. The new focus is on the individual and her network, creating freedom and personal purpose.
- Domain expertise becomes less dependent on individuals as AI gradually does a more effective job. • Highly automated (robotic systems) take over many routine human tasks.
- The next generation of social and collaboration tools will help to rapidly locate the internal and external people needed to resolve the challenge at hand.
- The skills people need will shift to information and personnel network management. It’s not about what they know, but how they think and the types of problems they can solve.
- Technology facilitates the connection of purpose and productivity, selecting work based on a desired impact.
- Office of the future: new technologies enable people to work from everywhere, office, hotel or home. Co-location is also a more realistic option.
- New contract: the Digital wave brought a new worker class: the “slashers:” they work on different jobs, for different clients, in varying contexts.
- A global media and entertainment company changed the way that work shifts were allocated from fixed allocations to auctions and bids, based on personal preferences
- A global fashion brand transformed the way connections were made and information shared between the employees of their stores and back office
- An internationally operating temporary employment agency used advanced analytics and cognitive natural language analysis to automatically and optimally match demand and supply around their pool of temporary workers; Capgemini is now using the same software for its own, internal purposes. IMPACT
- Enabling the speed of innovation and creativity needed today to stay in touch with the digitally-savvy consumer and employee, becoming more competitive as a result
- New levels of productivity and engagement
- Higher levels of compensation and personal job satisfaction for employees through the freedom of selection
- Reduced cost of operations because larger businesses can operate using a smaller core operating model with a wider, more flexible network of experts on which to draw
- Reduced carbon footprint brought by virtual work, virtual and augmented reality resulting in less travel
- Freelance Talent hubs: – UpWork, Talao, Freelancer, Fiverr, Outsourcery, Workhoppers, Gigster AI-enabled IT development services
- Collaborative work platforms – Hubstaff, Facebook Workplace, Microsoft Yammer, Slack team communication, LinkedIn
- Dynamic resource matching – Capgemini People Analytics, IBM Talent Management, Workday HCM, SAP SuccessFactors