So after a relaxing 2 weeks away in France, and in a lull by the pool, having responded to the Urgent!!! emails in my inbox my thoughts turned to how Big, Fast Data could help me on holiday:
Ease my journey: Real time routing based on traffic behaviour – go beyond SatNav and TMC routing – get me to my location based not just on lagging traffic sensors and traffic reports – but based on current real traffic behaviour as reported by devices. The diversion signs were incomplete, both locals and tourists having to backtrack – my trouble spots can be predicted based on:
- Historic data for holiday start date
- Traffic behaviour right now
- Key local events
- Time of day
- Deliver intelligent route guidance to me… I’d pay…
- Enhance my “dull” shopping: Give me “temporary” retail offers targeted at me – travelling in a large group with high short term spend (relatively cash rich but time poor) – identify my closest supermarket, unique opening hours due to holidays and create a short term loyal customer (buying food for 12 people for 2 weeks). I can’t join your loyalty scheme – no long term value – but you could give me short term benefits. Guide me round the store for your deals today – enhanced with augmented reality translation if that helps me.
- Send me compelling offers: You know where I am, the local attractions can be mapped. With 5 kids under 5, a little incentive is easy if you want to get us to the “Valle des Singes” instead of “Futuroscope” – but tempt us, and tempt us on the day. Choice is key.
- Ease my journey home: From ticket information, Eurotunnel knew I was heading back for a 6pm train. It ran slightly late. If they’d captured a little more outbound information – like my destination in France – or even just taken a risk – they would have known that I was attempting 800 miles in one run. So be smart and when I arrive in Folkestone, offer me a compelling hotel & food package based on local hotel capacity at 7pm (unlikely that it would be filled that night) – I might just need it.
The classic barriers are going – data usage in Europe is now increasingly affordable (£3 for a day’s near unlimted web/email use is useful and not bank breaking)– and many devices have GPS, and the data is available – so monetise it based on you customer use cases.
So my message? Big, fast data opportunities are everywhere, so pour a nice glass of something and enjoy your holidays.