Over the last few years, cloud computing has evolved from a rather nebulous concept to a set of highly practical solutions for today’s complex business and IT landscape. And, the benefits are clear. From reducing costs and enhancing operational efficiencies to improving speed to market and enabling business agility, cloud computing is not just the next step in technology evolution – It’s an opportunity for business to truly transform the way it works and even embrace new commercial models for growth.
Capgemini research shows that over 75% of enterprises have a Cloud adoption strategy in place. However, while enterprises are increasingly moving to cloud-based solutions, key questions need to be answered:
- How can we efficiently leverage cloud computing to realize 30% to 40% reduction in TCO?
- Which of our applications are well suited for the cloud? And why?
- How do we support the transition from existing resource intensive setup to virtualized/cloud environments?
- How can we effectively choose the right platform? And cloud service providers?
- What can we do to reduce resistance to change from existing systems to cloud based services?
- How do we manage user desire to use modern technologies to operate traditional systems?
And, while the move to cloud computing for competitive advantage is well understood and even urgent, you still need a structured methodology and well laid-out roadmap for migration to the cloud. Having one will help you reduce decision risks, promote rapid user adoption and effectively lower your TCO of IT investments.
To get started, here’s a broad five-step approach:
1. Review your IT portfolio. Analyze it from a technical as well as functional perspective to ensure alignment with business strategies
2. Select which part of the current landscape should be targeted for cloud migration to balance risk and maximize the TCO savings
3. Identify opportunities within this sub-section to leverage IaaS, PaaS and SaaS. Evaluate options and craft the to-be architecture
4. Develop a comprehensive business case. Validate with all stakeholders
5. Outline your transformational journey. Start with some quick wins. Chart a phased, multi-stream deployment roadmap to get you from the as-is to the to-be state
The complexity of your current IT environment along with an ever-evolving number of cloud computing choices can be overwhelming and make it demanding to plot a smooth transformation roadmap. However, taking a structured approach can help to quickly overcome barriers and provide any organization with a smooth transition to the cloud.
Is your organization well-prepared to make the journey to the cloud?
Sales Pitch Alert (Well, not really. You could actually get this for no cost. Condtions, of course apply)
If you need some help to get started or get organized, the Capgemini Cloud Assessment is a good place to begin. The assessment is a cloud agnostic, vendor aware methodology that focuses on low risk, high return business transformation. It leverages pre-built accelerators such as ROI calculators, risk models and portfolio analyzers utilizing a deep partner ecosystem.
The assessment is a highly collaborative four phase engagement that provides you three powerful deliverables in just six to eight weeks:
1. End State Architecture: Including application destiny and a set of initiatives to improve technical and functional quality, reduce support costs, eliminate redundancies and mitigate potential risks.
2. Business Case: Demonstrates business and financial value of portfolio transformation. It justifies the value of the rationalization design motivating stakeholders to progress to next step
3. Deployment Roadmap: Charts the journey from the ‘as-is’ to the ‘to-be’ state. It includes design results, schedules and execution priority details.
So, once again, is your organization ready to effectively make the journey to the cloud?