Today our new Merlin data centre officially opened. Located in Swindon, UK, it is a state-of-the-art facility that breaks new ground in terms of data centre design and construction principles providing our clients with cost-effective, secure, resilient, flexible and environmentally considerate services.
Sustainability has been at the heart of the Merlin project – all the way from location selection, design and construction, through to the day-to-day operation of the site. Among Merlin’s key sustainability achievements are:
- An expected PUE (Power Usage Effectiveness) of 1.10
- Built to LEED standard – an independent and internationally recognized green building accreditation.
- A fresh air cooling system that delivers 80% savings in run costs and produces up to 50% less carbon emissions
- Power savings of 91% compared to an ‘industry average’ data centre (with a PUE of 2.5)
- The elimination of batteries in the Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) thanks to the application of innovative flywheel technology.
All of this has been achieved while fulfilling some of the industry’s most rigorous security and resiliency demands.
12th October 2010 (Updated 12th November 2010)