The service brings VMware’s enterprise class Software-Defined Data Center software to the AWS Cloud, and enables customers to run production applications across VMware vSphere®-based private, public and hybrid cloud environments, with optimized access to AWS services.
This service will help enterprises with their hybrid cloud and workload migration loads. Previously, moving to the cloud was mostly a binary decision between public and private. This service brings a viable hybrid offer to the market. Additionally, those workload decisions don’t need to be permanent. The flexibility of VMWare on AWS around workload movement leveraging the VMware stack with its enterprise class security and mobility, and the ability to “consume” AWS services, is an important differentiator.
Based on our work with clients, we’ve identified six critical success factors for adopting VMware Cloud on AWS:
- Detail your business drivers and map to cloud adoption/migration for technical and financial success. Look at this through the lens of your applications rather than seeing this as a data center optimization initiative.
- Fully understand your application portfolio, current and projected. Also, look at your new projects and plan in advance where you would like the new applications to sit.
- Understand, and continuously revisit, the roadmaps for VMware Cloud on AWS and AWS native options. Keep a close eye on what the timelines for availability are from VMware announcements in order to manage internal expectations.
- Map the application landscape to an execution plan:
- Existing versus PaaS adoption; and
- Refactoring versus lift and shift.
- Phase the execution of the transition based on business drivers and release dates.
- Continuously re-evaluate business priorities and alignment of the technology landscape. At the heart of your thinking should be evaluating why a hybrid strategy is critical to your business.
My last observation is that net, net, the constant change in Cloud means daily innovation opportunities for your company. If you want to be seen as providing strategic value to the business, then you have to run with it. Embrace the pace of innovation in the Public Cloud and adopt it to your Software Defined Data Center.
To learn more about VMware Cloud on AWS, send me an email at email@example.com.
For additional information on Capgemini’s cloud practice, visit: https://www.capgemini.com/ch-en/cloud-choice.