At a time of increasingly complex and competitive markets, businesses are using a variety of approaches to boost profitability, enhance shareholder value, and grow their customer base. Although globalization, acquisitions, and technology are enabling businesses to meet these imperatives, they are also bringing a number of challenges on their own, including:
- A multiplicity of ERP and other systems which makes it difficult to have an integrated view of the business
- A lack of standard processes across the different parts of the organization
- Lack of visibility and collaboration with external partners such as suppliers, contract manufacturers, logistics service providers
- Loss of control as more and more operations are outsourced
- Complex, global supply chains that are not responsive enough to the new pace of business
- Limited use of the large amounts of data now available.