When we think about Microsoft 365, the first thing that comes to our mind is collaboration and Microsoft Teams. That is not surprising taking into consideration the dramatic increase in Microsoft Teams usage over the last few years, turbo-charged by COVID-19 lockdowns and disruptions. Microsoft Teams now has over 270 million monthly active users.
Microsoft Teams is the hub for teamwork. It allows for collaboration, chat, calls, meetings, and so much more! However, there is lots more to Microsoft 365 than Microsoft Teams. With its modern SharePoint Online capabilities, Microsoft 365 also provides a fantastic platform for an intelligent intranet.
In the modern world, the intranet should be the centre of your workplace. An intelligent Microsoft 365 intranet is informative, engaging, personalised, available at any time on any device and integrated with other Microsoft 365 tools and services like Yammer.
Figure 1: Yammer feed embedded on the intranet page.
What are the benefits of an intelligent intranet?
- Improves internal communications
- Provides a single source of truth for corporate information
- Simplifies onboarding of new people into your organisation
- Reinforces your culture and values
- Improves engagement within your organisation
- Connects your organisation across location and time zones
- Boosts internal reward and recognition
Intelligent intranet is available to your people at any time on any device.
Figure2: Intelligent intranet available at any time on any device.
What are the hallmarks of an intelligent intranet?
Figure 3: Page template for rapid deployment with reusable components.
Intranets can take many shapes and sizes. Intelligent intranets, however, do share a number of characteristics, including:
- Rapid deployment with adaptable designs based on out-of-the-box web parts and components which are no longer dependent on IT to deploy.
- Built with the user experience in mind with accessible design principles and UX best practices embedded in the modern experience.
- Personalised experience with features like audience targeting, recommended news, highlighted content, and user-selected favourites.
- Software as a service with automatic updates ensuring you are always using the latest technology.
Figure 4: Personalised experience with features like audience targeting, recommended news, highlighted content, and user-selected favourites.
Why invest in the modern intelligent intranet?
By modernising your intranet now, you will enable your organisation to be more agile and efficient than ever before. Your intranet will be able to:
- Move at the speed of your business displaying content dynamically with flexible designs while it is still fresh and relevant to your people
- Deliver information to your people where they are with targeted, relevant content available at any time on any device
- Reduce the cost of technical resources with security, permissions, and other information governance components centrally managed across the whole Microsoft 365 environment.
Modern SharePoint Online intranet will also allow you to step into the world of Microsoft Viva – an employee experience platform that brings together communications, knowledge, learning, resources, and insights in the flow of work. Powered by Microsoft 365 and experienced through Microsoft Teams and modern SharePoint Online, Viva fosters a culture that empowers employees and teams to be their best from anywhere.
Figure 5: Intelligent intranet connected to Microsoft Teams via Viva Connections
How long does it take to implement the basic intelligent intranet on the Microsoft 365 platform?
To get you started on your intelligent intranet journey, we can implement the basic intranet within 3-6 months, using our proven patters and techniques. To ensure your intranet’s long-term success and resilience in this ever-green continuously evolving environment, our intelligent intranets are utilising the native Microsoft 365 capabilities with no custom coding. If your organisation is already using Microsoft Teams, we can connect your new intranet with Teams via Viva Connections – a free employee experience offering from Microsoft included in your Microsoft 365 plan with SharePoint Online.
Figure 6: Intelligent Intranet implementation roadmap
Have questions about Intelligent Microsoft 365 intranets?
Principal Consultant CIS – Modern Work