“Taking the robot out of the human” is an established first step towards automation of work processes. But what if we bring AI into the equation? It can mimic human behavior, and perhaps better still, augment human intelligence. This is apparent from AI’s mastery of natural language and its understanding of audio, video, and images – but also from its ability to observe processes in their broader context, detecting complex patterns that humans cannot even see or absorb. The resulting symbiotic relationship between humans and their AI minions will change the way we work, the way we organize ourselves, and ultimately, the way we do business and live our lives.
- Cognitive systems are mastering human conversation; processing natural language with interpretation and understanding of context, generating natural language where narratives are created to describe raw data, or even using computer vision to recognize images or analyze video footage. These capabilities enhance existing processes by augmenting human work, replacing parts of it, or more frequently both.
- AI has utilized unsupervised reinforcement learning to win games – such as Go, Dota 2 and Atari classics – by simply observing how they are played and won, without even knowing the rules. This technology can also be applied to operational processes; learning from the way humans do their work, finding means of improvement and then providing them with automated, highly intelligent support.
- They can watch how users interact with applications, to automatically generate deterministic robots to deliver the work items.
- An exciting area of development lies with reinforcement learning and multi-agent systems working. They focus on goal seeking and collaborative decision making to augment the human process, liberating them to focus on the direction and orchestration of autonomous business operations.
- A European mobile communications retailer leveraged cognitive technology to radically improve back office processes, leading to a 70% reduction in operating costs and up to an 80% improvement in operational efficiency.
- A trade finance organization digitized and categorized unstructured documentation and extracted relevant data with thousands of complex daily transactions, all managed by cognitive software and bots.
- A Microsoft social chatbot in China, “Xiaoice,” already has over 660 million users 450 million third-party IoT devices and 900 million content viewers.
- PetSmart, a US-based specialty retailer, was able to save up to $12 million by using AI in fraud detection. The company implemented an AI/ML technology that aggregates millions of transactions and their outcomes.
- Capgemini Business Services works with Celaton, Abbyyand WorkFusion to automatically handle incoming structured and unstructured correspondence through a variety of digital channels, improving efficiency by over 50%.
- The creation of an AI augmented workforce can take on more through smart assistance.
- Dramatically improved productivity and effectiveness through automated decision-making and the availability of real time, predictive insights.
- Human-like cognitive capabilities in end-to-end processes enhance the consumer experience.
- Mitigating the risks of attrition, aging workforce and dependencies in areas of specialized or scarce knowledge.
- Enabling new capabilities where AI infused processes deliver at a previously unimaginable speed, gradually approaching the era of autonomous processes and even the autonomous enterprise.
- Cognitive and AI solutions and platforms: io Autonomous, Decision Making, DataRobot, Celaton InStream, iManage, Artificial Solutions Teneo, WorkFusion, Abbyy Flexicapture, Loop AI Loop Q, Machinify, IBM Watson, IPSoft Amelia, Pega Customer
- Adaptive learning: Kryon Process Discovery, Celonis Process Mining