Gaming is big and will only get bigger. Brands outside of gaming – especially CPG brands – see gaming as a new channel to unlock, with unique consumers to capture. To date, their efforts in gaming include custom products and content, as well as partnerships and sponsorships with influencers, platforms, and leagues. However, playing successfully in gaming as an outside brand is not easy, as gamers prefer sponsorships from gaming brands.
The key is to engage players authentically. To be authentic, you must understand gamers at their core and realize they are not all the same:
- Mindless Mobilers: This is the largest and fastest-growing portion of the population and tends to skew older and more female than other gamers. They mostly play in the 5 to 10 minutes of downtime they have during the day, and don’t always consider themselves to be gamers.
- Pick-up Players: They are here for the quick hit of competitive, fast-paced fun that video games provide, and not to get swept up into a new universe. Their goal is to beat friends during casual hang outs.
- Immersion Artists: They are passionate about storytelling and the potential to be transported into a different world. They want a deep, rich experience that allows them to build relationships with characters.
- Adrenaline Junkies: These players are all about games that provide intense, high-octane moments. Whether it’s beating the clock or getting the last kill, they live for high-pressure gameplay and the never-ending chase for the top of the leaderboard.
- Glory Getters: These are deeply committed gamers who live, breathe, and eat gaming – and probably don’t sleep. They either game to earn income or earn income to game. Being the best is their goal.
Are you interested in establishing a long-term relationship with gamers in a rapidly growing and changing industry? Do you want to know what types of gamers you currently serve, could potentially serve, and how to serve them?
Read Choose your character: A guide to getting gamers and learn how to reach elusive gamers and target the right individuals for your brand.