Automation and AI are changing the purpose of people at work for good. As machines perform more and more complex tasks, the role of “You@Work” transforms from “just” being a part of a business function to addressing challenges across the business. Classic concepts such as “information retention” and “line management” disappear. Peer-to-peer platforms increase transparency, dexterity, and connectivity across any role or organization. AI supports the dynamic matching of people’s skills and interests with the job to be done. Freelance at scale is the new employment model. The emphasis shifts to you and your network, creating freedom and personal purpose.
- Domain expertise becomes less dependent on individuals as AI gradually does a more effective job.
- Highly automated (robotic systems) take over many routine human tasks.
- The next generation of social and collaboration tools will help to rapidly locate the internal and external people needed to resolve the challenge at hand.
- The skills people need will shift to information and personnel network management: it’s not about what they know, but how they think and the types of problems they can solve.
- Technology facilitates the connection of purpose and productivity, selecting work based on a desired impact.
- A global media and entertainment company changed the way that work shifts were allocated from fixed allocations to auctions and bids, based on personal preferences.
- A global fashion brand transformed the way connections were made and information shared between the employees of their stores and back-office.
- An internationally operating temporary employment agency used advanced analytics and cognitive natural language analysis to automatically and optimally match demand and supply around their pool of temporary workers; Capgemini is now using the same software for its own, internal purposes.
- Enabling the speed of innovation and creativity needed today to stay in touch with the digitally-savvy consumer and employee, becoming more competitive as a result
- New levels of productivity and engagement
- Higher levels of compensation and personal job satisfaction for employees through the freedom of selection
- Reduced cost of operations because larger businesses can operate using a smaller core operating model with a wider, more flexible network of experts on which to draw
- Freelance hubs:
- Collaborative work platforms