Enterprises are raving about DevOps, the agile and perfect fusion between IT Development and IT Operations, supercharging deployments with near-perfect quality. On a unified platform with a highly automated toolchain, DevOps teams develop applications, test, integrate, and package for deployment. They promote a continuous, uninterrupted flow, releasing many times a day without fail. It requires a thorough understanding of the components of a state-of-the-art DevOps platform and a disruptive change of culture within the organization. Build, release, run, repeat in the digital world….all before lunch. What if business could do that too?
What is it?
- DevOps is a portmanteau of “Development” and “Operations.” It’s a concept that connects these two traditional IT silos throughout the development lifecycle, operating as a continuously delivering factory, able to release new application versions many times a day.
- On the one hand, it depends on a highly industrialized toolchain, automating as much as possible the activities of the entire software solutions lifecycle: a platform challenge for all involved.
- But above all, DevOps is a seamless team effort that brings together all needed IT disciplines in a high-productivity, multi-disciplinary team.
How do we use it?
- A European bank transformed its IT department into dozens of autonomous DevOps teams, aiming to improve both business agility and to significantly decrease production errors in its digital applications.
- Netflix sets a shining example when it comes to next-generation solutions development. Their approach to DevOps leans on well-architected, platform-based tooling, but also on rigorous testing of their backend services, notably the database systems.
- Digital leaders such as Spotify and Etsy rely on a top-down, business-driven vision on DevOps, making sure the company fully embraces this new culture.
- Increased speed to market, enabling the quick, initial release of high-quality Minimum Viable Products (MVPs), the ability to continually improve and expand it
- Higher productivity and fewer errors and unexpected bottlenecks due to a high degree of automation and an integrated, multi-disciplinary team
- Perfect approach to explore the new, digital world of cloud, mobile, and IoT solutions
- Helps the enterprise towards agile value delivery