Many companies have invested significant amounts of money in programs to improve cybersecurity – the protection of consumer data, enterprise information, and intellectual property. But while cybersecurity is often seen in terms of the cost of mitigation – or the ramifications of a breach – it is also a business driver and can be a source of competitive advantage in the retail sector.
We probed this issue in a global survey of over 6,000 consumers and 200 retail executives, as well as in interviews with experienced cybersecurity executives.
Our research reveals that customer satisfaction and spending can drastically be improved by cybersecurity and data privacy assurance. Yet, very few retailers are leveraging this opportunity to gain competitive advantage. This report:
- Explores how cybersecurity and data protection is a business driver
- Assesses retailers’ understanding of consumer expectations for cybersecurity
- Quantifies the gains for a retailer with a robust cybersecurity system
- Provides recommendation on how retailers can leverage cybersecurity and data privacy to drive value and growth.
Here are some of the key findings:
- Cybersecurity is the 3rd most important factor when consumers’ select retailers, even outranking attributes such as discounts and brand reputation
- The share of satisfied customers improves by 2.5x if consumers know their primary retailer had implemented the cybersecurity and data privacy capabilities we studied
- Approximately 40% of consumers would be willing to increase their online spend 20% or more if their primary retailer gave them certain assurances which built their trust
- Enhanced cybersecurity and data protection could drive a revenue uplift of around 5%
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/441958116″ params=”visual=true&show_artwork=true&maxwidth=960&maxheight=1000&dnt=1″ width=”100%” height=”400″ iframe=”true” /]
Subscribe here to receive an advance copy of new research reports from Capgemini’s Digital Transformation Institute:
We are sorry, the form submission failed. Please try again.