MySQL Developer / Admin
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to manage, maintain, tune, and architect medium to large databases with high transaction rates that deliver web content and time series data and services to our customers and internal analysts. They will support multiple teams engaged in both customer-facing web applications, high volume transactional applications and time series data handling applications.
- Manage MySQL and/or PostgreSQL in production/QA/dev environments including installation, configuration, upgrades, schema changes, etc.
- Provide best practices on design, availability, replication, security, audit, and backup/recovery methodologies.
- Continuously re-evaluate the infrastructure for opportunities for optimization.
- Troubleshoot database issues and maintain database systems availability and scalability within production environments
- Perform capacity-planning exercises to properly identify required hardware, software, database configuration/architecture necessary to support application needs
- Support multiple Agile scrum teams to produce quality deliverables and meet deadlines, while effectively managing priorities and communicating progress
- Occasional weekend work to support scheduled maintenance
- On call to respond to and resolve application issues to ensure production applications are online
- Commit to continuous learning by updating skill sets that will help our teams and self
What makes you successful in the role:
- Significant experience (5+ years) managing complex production MySQL database systems, preferably at a large consumer-facing internet site.
- Expert with MySQL and/or PostgreSQL: server tuning, query optimization, replication strategies, storage engines, monitoring, capacity planning, backup, HA, etc.
- Ability to develop procedures, processes and conventions to standardize database operations
- Solid understanding of RDBMS security administration
- Agile framework-based work experience is highly desirable
- Proficient in the scripting language of your choice (shell, Perl, PHP, etc) for monitoring and custom automation
- Understanding of database packaged releases, patching strategy, and enforcing standards via tools
- Experience working with Subversion, Git, CVS, or other source code management tools
- Experience with Virtual environments (VMWARE) and Cloud based systems (AWS)
- Experience with CI/CD for database environments will be a plus