An overview of the role
We’re excited to be offering this opportunity for a talented Test Lead to join our rapidly expanding team, working at the forefront of technology.
The CST Delivery Group provides an end-to-end service for creating and maintaining IT products based upon the COBOL & CA GEN toolset (formally known as COOL:Gen)
Bringing all our CST delivery capability together, consolidated under one management team, allows us to maximise the use of our skills, knowledge and resources.
We drive for greater efficiency and effectiveness to meet the changing needs of our clients, whilst maintaining the excellent delivery standards that we have already set.
We presently support 20+ HMRC systems including: National Tax Credits (NTC), Computerised Environment for Self Assessment (CESA), Integrated Debt Management System (IDMS), Corporate Data Frameworks, Corporation Tax System, MODES, Repayment Clump (RC) and the Employer Compliance System.
This is a technical role requiring a Test Management and Quality Assurance skill set and sits within the Engineering community.
We are looking for an individual to join the technical leadership function with the Core Systems and Transformation Delivery Centre within the HMRC MU. You will have had experience of hands on testing and test management.
This role is a leadership role within the test community and is focused on Governance of testing within the DC, assuring quality of testing going forward and providing Technical Leadership and Test Management across multiple deliveries and technologies.
The role requires interaction both with customers and other third-party solution providers to co-ordinate testing with our teams. The role requires current active test analysis skills in addition to a strategic view of how to deliver the testing.
Participate in project Inception, Elaboration and Discovery phases within the Agile to understand and deliver the testing into the delivery teams.
Self-managing, good time management, responsibility to provide cover across multiple services and projects
Monitor Bugs and other test metrics and report on test progress as required.
As a vital part of our business unit, you’ll contribute to first-class end-to-end solutions in your assignments. You will play an active role in defining our practices, standards and ways of working, and apply them to your role. Be open to working across organisation and team boundaries to ensure we bring the best to our customers.
Why this role?
• Manage the Assurance of Quality within the Test Teams
• Provide Test Assurance across all test levels within the team, review internal test plans, provide an independent view of testing following team/peer reviews
• Review external teams test products and ensure external plans align with local plans
• Manage small teams with responsibility for testing tasks, appropriate delegation to Test Leads
• In-depth knowledge of Test Analysis Techniques, and able to apply them or direct the test team in their utilisation
• Provide Technical Test direction in both Functional and Non-functional test stages
• Understand the broad spectrum of testing directing activity across test levels and providing consultation to Delivery Management and 3 rd Parties
• Manage and co-ordinate actions required resulting from for testing issues
• Act as a point of contact for the wider technical leadership and externals – working closely with BAs, SA, and Architects
• Analysing future work to estimate the test impact and contribute to the bid process
• Input into Test Communities and Wider steering groups
• Managing/ Assess the Test Capability, identify training needs, provide coaching and mentoring for Testers
• Keep abreast of test industry standards, new test concepts, pro-actively identifying/ recommending how to improve the Test Process and engage with the Test Authority to assist in implementation of changes to best practice
• Engage in the strategic test planning for medium to large scale projects, across systems
• Produce Test Approaches/ Plans for testing to feed into internal and external teams
• ‘Shift Left’ mindset, participate in discovery/solution workshops gauging early test stage approach/ responsibilities/ owners
• Engage with technical leadership teams in planning/discovery activities
• Release Planning/ Sprint planning involvement leveraging test activities with the overall delivery commitments
• Support the account E2E test solution and estimate realistic lead times
• Manage your own utilisation across multiple projects assigned
• Understand the schedules and anticipate impediments to delivery so they can be managed
Monitoring and Supporting
• Apply Governance in adherence to Test Policy and Strategy direction & Principles
• Monitoring & Control of all test activities across the Software Testing Life Cycle, escalating where appropriate
• Able to work autonomously managing own workload based on priorities
• ISEB / ISTQB Advanced Test Analyst
• Awareness of Agile/Scrum methodologies
• ISEB / ISTQB Test Management
• Strong Influencing skills
• Strong Team Building skills
• Understanding of agile, waterfall and hybrid delivery lifecycles
• SQL & UNIX experience
• Automation Skills
• Bitbucket/ Bamboo/ Confluence/ JIRA
We are looking for someone with a good level of Test Lead experience
Good written and verbal communication skills, Problem solving and creativity skills, Honesty and Integrity, Eagerness to learn, Drive and energy, Professional appearance
Knowledge of HMRC business