Capgemini’s Legal Team
Capgemini’s global legal team has over 150 in-house lawyers. Capgemini’s Asia Pacific (APAC) operations include Australia and New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Philippines, China, Taiwan, Japan and Vietnam. This role would predominantly involve Japan but the candidate may be expected to support other APAC operations through working closely with the South East Asia and Japan legal team. The South East Asia and Japan legal team currently consists of an Associate General Counsel and two other lawyers and one PA, based in Singapore. The teams advise their respective businesses and work closely with Capgemini lawyers working for the parent company based in Paris and (from time to time) with other lawyers around the world on particular projects and global deals.
Legal Counsel role
Due to ongoing growth in Capgemini Japan’s business, Capgemini Japan wishes to recruit a legal counsel to support the Japan business working as part of the South East Asia and Japan Legal teams. The candidate will work in collaboration with existing legal team members and may from time to time be required to support other matters and transactions in South East Asia.
We have a bold and creative approach to providing business solutions and are looking for a bright, talented and commercially experienced and astute lawyer. The successful candidate will work closely with a broad range of internal stakeholders and external clients located In Japan, the APAC region and Globally. The successful candidate will support a wide variety of commercial issues and transactions, varying in nature, complexity and value, as well as ad hoc legal issues such a employment law.
Applications are welcomed from lawyers with contract law experience, preferably already specialising in IT law and whether in-house or in private practice.
- supporting the commercial legal work on all phases of deals, ranging from the proposal/bid review stages through to drafting, supporting negotiation and advising on post signature issues. This includes helping determine strategic positions regarding that work;
- supporting the commercial legal work for contract negotiations for the provision of commercial IT contracts, including Framework or Master Services Agreements, Application Development/Management Agreements, Infrastructure Agreements (including Business Process Outsourcing), System Integration Agreement, Cloud Services Agreement, software and hardware related agreements, related sub-contracts, and general commercial procurement contracts. Capgemini provides services to clients across Public Sector/Government, Energy, Banking, Transport, Manufacturing, Education, Aviation and Insurance sectors, so the contracts to be negotiated are varied reflecting the services and client;
- working as part of the Legal team to provide innovative legal solutions for the Capgemini business, supporting training for the business and advising on compliance with company policies;
- working as part of the global legal team on global initiatives, including on occasions international transactions;
- providing advice on all aspects of employment law in Japan;
- ancillary legal support includes supporting legal sign-off on deals (including through the regional business & Group legal sign-off processes); and
- to the extent necessary, liaise with business stakeholders and our external lawyers.
- 5+ years of experience, preferably as a lawyer in an international law firm or in-house IT experience. Exposure to drafting and negotiating IT agreements directly with clients are key assets;
- Excellent grasp of general commercial and contract law principles (e.g. Data Privacy, Intellectual Property, Termination, Indemnity and Liability);
- Experience with employment law issues;
- Ability to apply commercial and contract law knowledge across varied contractual formats and/or factual situations and/or proactively suggest risk mitigations to internal business stakeholders;
- Ability to manage and lead complex projects, including the legal support of large value and complex bids and transactions;
- A strategic outlook and ability to support direction setting for your work and the business;
- Bi-lingual in Japanese and English possessing excellent verbal and written communication skills for both formal and informal settings. Effective client-facing negotiation skills;
- Proven stakeholder management skills capable of managing conflicting work requests whilst forging relationships with senior executives, business managers, team members, clients and third parties;
- Strong leadership skills and the confidence to influence the business at a senior level and set expectations;
- Strong commercial skills and understanding;
- Demonstrated resilience, such as resilience to multi stakeholder demands and changes during negotiations;
- Ability to work successfully as part of a global team and foster knowledge sharing;
- Lead efforts to suggest improvements to work practices and develop new thinking and approaches profitable for Capgemini’s business, including as based on feedback, personal insight and best practice;
- Capable of delivering training in own area of expertise; and
- Awareness of the general external business environment applicable to Capgemini.
What we’ll offer you
In return, we will offer you an interesting job with growth opportunities, within a dynamic and professional environment, and appropriate salary conditions.