Main purpose of the role
You'll be onsite with various financial services clients – usually one at a time, mainly in and around London, but with other pockets of projects in the north and north-west of England, and occasionally Scotland and a couple of other places.
You'll be working closely with Capgemini colleagues and clients as a member of the software engineering team, typically within or associated with a consulting or delivery engagement.
A typical role would be to create solutions by developing, implementing and maintaining Java based components and interfaces.
Below are some examples of typical responsibilities of your role, either internally within Capgemini, and/or during a client engagement with us:
- Defining objectives by analysing user requirements, envisioning system features and functionality.
- Design and development of user interfaces to internet/intranet applications – setting expectations and feature priorities throughout the development life cycle; determining design methodologies and tool sets; completing programming using languages and software products, designing and conducting tests.
- Integrating applications by designing database architecture and server scripting, studying and establishing connectivity with network systems, search engines, and information servers.
- Creating multimedia applications, using authoring tools.
- Completing application development by coordinating requirements, schedules and activities; contributing to team meetings, troubleshooting development and production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms.
- Developing comprehensive documentation and assistance tools.
- Updating job knowledge by researching new internet/intranet technologies and software products; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organisations.
- Contributing to the creation of best practices through the identification of reusable project-level assets.
We would typically look for a combination of the below experience across a variety of assignments. It’s not the end of the world if you don’t tick all of the boxes, but ideally as many as possible. If you’re unsure – we’ll welcome your application anyway!
- Good understanding of application, information and integration implementation
- Core Java (Versions 8 preferred, version 7 essential)
- Web Technologies (HTML 5, CSS 3, JQuery, Dojo, AJAX, Web Services REST/SOAP)
- Web Frameworks (Struts 2, Apache Tiles, Spring, Hibernate)
- Spring Modules (IoC, AOP, Transactions, MVC, Webflow, Security, Web Services, Integration)
- Java EE/J2EE Technologies (JSF, JSP, Servlet, JMS, EJB, JPA, JTA)
- RDBMS (PL/SQL, Oracle DB, Sybase, DB2, SQL)
- Design Patterns (J2EE, GOF)
- Design Approaches and principles (DDD, SOLID, GRASP)
- Application Server (Weblogic, Websphere, Glassfish, JBoss, Apache)
- Mobile applications and frameworks (e.g. Kony)
- Others (XML, UML, Perl Scripting)
- Experience of developing Enterprise Integration solutions using at least one of: IBM Web Sphere (Message broker, Web Sphere MQ, Portal, ESB, Process Server, Data Power) or Oracle Fusion Middleware (WebLogic Integration, WebCentre, Oracle ESB, Oracle BPM, BAM)
- A demonstrable Java EE/J2EE background is essential as a significant proportion of the projects will be focused around the delivery of enterprise solutions
- Agile development practices (CI, TDD, BDD, etc)
- Object Oriented Analysis, Design and Development
- Ability to design/develop sensible, simple solutions to complex problems
- Service Oriented Architecture
- Technologies such as BPEL, Rules Engine etc
- Application server administration, clustering, deployment, continuous integration etc
- Any UI toolkits like Google UI Kit or Yahoo UI library
- Consulting experience within major consultancy or SI organisation
- Financial services industry experience (banking/capital markets/insurance)
What we’ll offer you
Professional development. Accelerated career progression. An environment that encourages entrepreneurial spirit. It’s all on offer at Capgemini. And although collaboration is at the core of the way we work, we also recognise individual needs with a flexible benefits package you can tailor to suit you.
Why we’re different
At Capgemini, we help organisations across the world become more agile, more competitive and more successful. Smart, tailored, often-groundbreaking technical solutions to complex problems are the norm. But so, too, is a culture that’s as collaborative as it is forward thinking. Working closely with each other, and with our clients, we get under the skin of businesses and to the heart of their goals. You will too.
Capgemini positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of age, disability, family or care responsibilities, gender and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race (which includes colour, caste, nationality and ethnic or national origins), religion or belief, sexual orientation, social or educational background. We foster an inclusive culture that enables everyone to achieve their full potential and enjoy a fulfilling career with us. Our comprehensive flexible benefits package and lifestyle policies enable our employees to balance their individual, family and work-life needs.
Please let us know if you consider yourself to have a disability that requires an adjustment to help facilitate your application, interview or the joining process.
We would like to retain your details for approximately 24 months, in case any suitable positions arise during that time. However, if you would prefer us not to, please let us know.