Design Director with focus on business development
Idean is a global experience design agency with 20-year-old Scandinavian roots, operating in the realms of design, technology, and business. We create services, products and experiences from scratch as well as elevating already existing experiences. At Idean we believe that great design can change the world. Our design team is an incredibly talented bunch of hybrids and this is something we embrace. The team consists of people with a background in UX, visual design, service design and UI development as well as front-end and VR/AR. We know that unicorns don’t exist, but we do like hybrid designers who can rock multiple design tasks and easily adapt to constantly changing situations.
We work with some of the biggest and most exciting businesses across all industries – but our ambition is to grow into more industries, challenging and transforming how organizations work with design and grow into one of the main players locally to deliver impact at an even larger scale.
About the role
We’re looking for a Design director, passionate about design, solving business problems and building long-lasting client relationships.
For you to thrive we want to be fully transparent – we’re on a journey building our brand and organization in Sweden. As a global agency we have a strong identity as one of the leaders in the field of design and customer experience. We are doing great work in Sweden but have higher ambitions and are now ready for the next leap.
We are shaping who we are, how we work with clients and design, where we want to go and will be adding many new roles and members to our teams in the coming months and years. We’re looking for someone who is excited about those prospects and wants to do the journey together with us. It might be a once in a life-time!
You will work on business development, leading and coaching design teams and ensuring quality in our deliveries. The split of your time in these areas will vary as we grow and evolve and will of course also depend on your passions and ambitions. It is vital however that you love the combination of sales and delivery.
- Join our leadership team to build a design agency that through size, recognition and determination really makes an impact on organizations, customers, users and employees.
- Grow existing and new client accounts and ensure we deliver user and business value through design.
- Work with the whole business development and delivery process – from identifying a client need, crafting the appropriate approach to ensuring quality and creative height in delivery
- Develop our service offerings and value propositions (together with us and the team of course!)
- Work together with our extended network within Capgemini Group (Frog, Capgemini Invent, Sogeti and Altran) to create great experiences and deliver more user and business value than we could on our own
- Act as a sounding board to designers and design leads to ensure progress and quality in delivery
- Create and manage client relationships with senior stakeholders (C-level, VP, Executives, Directors)
- Communicate the value of design to get buy in for design thinking approaches from both designers and non-designers on all levels.
We have a few hypotheses of the background you have but are curious to know which experiences and passions you believe will add value to our team. We’re open to the fact that you might have a perspective that is new to us and that we’ll fall in love with!
We started with putting down a list of “you’ll get this” and firm requirements for “we’re looking for this” and we did, but rather than strict requirements on your background we hope this list provides a clearer understanding of the role. See it as a list of experiences and passions we think you have, but feel free to prove us wrong!
Passion for design
- You have a holistic and human-centered experience from and approach to design – from design strategy and research to creating concept and shipping products. You don’t need to have hands-on experience within all fields of design, but you’re fluent in design and design thinking.
- You are passionate about design and how design can be used to transform businesses and experiences. You want to elevate design practices both internally and externally.
Business development and building relationships
- You have experience from selling design and design projects. With selling we mean identifying an opportunity and building a compelling approach and narrative to close the sale – an approach that leaves flexibility for the unknown, a setting for creativity to flourish and ensures profitability so we can continue growing and investing in our team and organization.
- You have an established network of relevant stakeholders and potential design buyers in Malmö, Stockholm and/or Gothenburg
- As we have a strong footprint in and passion for the Public sector it is important for us that you are fluent in both English and Swedish
Building our organization within our larger context
- You are used to, or want to explore, balancing the need for a nimble design agency with the structures from a large, global organization (Idean is a design agency in the Capgemini group)
- You have experience from building and/or leading a design agency or design function in a consultancy setting. You have tested many different ways of organizing and have a lot of experience to share.
- We have teams of designers in 3 locations – Malmö, Gothenburg and Stockholm. You are based in one of these locations, but you’ll work with us with a Sweden focus. You are open to some travels once the situation allows for it.
How we work
- We work together with our clients. They bring a deep understanding of their brand, user, culture and ways of working. We bring the wider lens of the big perspective and the deep know-how established from working with other clients and on other problems in all industries both locally and globally. We rarely go away to work for ourselves without our client being heavily involved. We just don’t believe that way of working creates enough value for them, us or the users.
- We don’t separate between strategy and execution. We see that they are both essential in creating great experiences and value to customers, users, employees and the business. We work on everything from framing the strategic problems and vision to designing, building and shipping products. We deliver projects from our studios as well as from client locations and infuse established client product teams with small teams or individual design expertise.
Our vision is to “by size, recognition, and determination, we are the design agency that really changes society for the better”. This is the direction we are pursuing and the journey we want you onboard for
A creative environment with an awesome team of designers! And of course:
- An opportunity to be a big fish in a small, but growing, pond. We have ambitious goals and you will be an important part of the puzzle to shape our future
- An agency where you’ll have loads of colleagues passionate about doing some of the best work of their lives. We also believe this can be done whilst having a laugh together and going home on time. Read more about us at Idean at www.idean.com
- Inspiring international network of experts in design and a range of other fields within Idean and Capgemini as well as global experiences to build from (including Frog, Altran, Invent, Fahrenheit 212, Purpose etc.)
- · Opportunity to grow and take on other challenges within Idean and Capgemini Group
- · A competitive salary and pension plan, including a comprehensive health and wellness program and recreational benefits
- · The comfort and safety of a big, established organization
- · Beautiful studio in central Malmö and offices in central Gothenburg and Stockholm
- · Regular team knowledge sharing sessions and social happenings – team breakfasts, AWs and fika (we stay connected and make it work also during the pandemic)
- · …and multiple other benefits
Send in your application as soon as possible. We will assess and interview candidates continuously and close the process as soon as we have found the right candidate.