MWCC Members Anadarko, Apache, BHP Billiton, BP, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, ExxonMobil, Hess, Shell, and Statoil benefit from membership in THE industry leading containment solution
In response to the Macondo incident in April 2010, US regulators shut down drilling in the Gulf of Mexico until the Oil & Gas industry could demonstrate its ability to contain a future well control incident. A new, independent company was formed to focus on providing leading well containment systems for the US Gulf of Mexico. Marine Well Containment Company (MWCC), a not-for-profit independent company, was created. Together, MWCC members operated approximately 70% of the deepwater wells drilled in the US Gulf of Mexico between 2007 and 2009.
Capgemini Consulting created a highly customised, end-to-end plan and flexible team to launch MWCC rapidly. The project comprised the following phases:
- Strategy development: The first step in the plan was to define the strategic positioning and role of MWCC within the broader oil & gas industry. Capgemini Consulting worked with the newly appointed officers and board of directors to craft the company vision, mission and strategy.
- Immediate operations: Capgemini Consulting’s approach provided the support necessary for MWCC to be a functional company in a very rapid timeframe. The specialist team of consultants provided processes and personnel to support the immediate launch of operations, finance, human resources and IT, and also managed all of the infrastructure requirements including office space design/build and computer hardware.
- Ongoing company development: After achieving the immediate company launch objective, Capgemini Consulting’s team turned to implementation of robust processes and systems for each functional area, in addition to providing programme and project management across the new enterprise. For the officers, the team facilitated ongoing strategic planning, operating model design and officer team support. In operations, they facilitated the development of equipment logistics plans, shorebase evaluations and maintenance requirements. In finance, Capgemini Consulting organised and facilitated the procurement and contract management functions, and in human resources it organised and facilitated the staff recruitment, onboarding and orientation programmes.
Through the engagement, MWCC achieved the following:
- Doubled the number of members during the corporate formation period, providing a much broader base of support, industry representation and cost sharing
- Enabled operation of essential financial functions and records within 30 days of the appointment of company officers opened a fully-functional office location in Houston, Texas, 10 days after contract signing
- Deployed a tested, fully functional, preconfigured SAP solution, EnergyPath, a leading standard for the offshore drilling and oil field services industries, in 90 days.