Sustainable Data Centres
We have invested heavily in measures to improve the energy efficiency of our data centres. This has resulted in a significant reduction in energy use and also the ability to offer our clients world class environmentally sustainable data centre services.
We have also taken action to rationalise and optimise our data centre portfolio. The closure and consolidation of three data centres last year has led to a 74% reduction in data centre emissions since 2014. During 2019 we will be reviewing our carbon reduction targets in the light of the changing carbon footprint of our business.
Our Merlin data centre
In 2010, we opened our Merlin data centre, one of the most sustainable data centres in the world. We took a 360-degree view of sustainability for this facility, including:
- Developing Merlin on a brownfield site to avoid unnecessary construction activity
- Constructing modules with 95% recyclable materials
- Using cleaner flywheel energy storage technology to replace environmentally damaging batteries
- Achieving an industry-leading Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE) of 1.09 (PUE is a standard data centre efficiency metric, determined by dividing the amount of power entering a data centre by the power used to run the computer infrastructure within it)
- Powering the data centre through renewable energy
All of Capgemini UK’s data centres are formal participants in the EU Code of Conduct for Data Centres programme.