The 19th edition of the Transport Market Monitor by Capgemini Consulting and Transporeon assesses European transport and haulage dynamics
Utrecht, 27th May 2014 – The 19th edition of the Transport Market Monitor (TMM) by Transporeon and Capgemini Consulting reveals that transport prices decreased by 9.6% in Q1 2014 compared to Q4 2013.
Main highlights of the report
- The price index decreased by 9.6% in Q1 2014 (index 91.5), compared to the price index in Q4 2013 (index 101.2).
- When comparing to the index level of the previous year, Q1 2013, we see that the price index is 1.4% higher.
- In Q1 2014, the diesel index decreased to an index 101.0 (-2.4%).
- The capacity index increased strongly to index 114.4 (+36.9%) in Q1.
- Although the price index decreased in Q1, it is still higher than last year. This indicates that the recovery endures.
Capgemini Consulting’s Erik van Dort comments: “As usual in Q1 a relatively high overcapacity caused a downward pressure on the transport prices, but although there was 37% more capacity offered this only had a relatively mild negative impact (-9,5%) on the prices.”
Peter Förster, Managing Director of Transporeon, added: “In Q1, the high capacity only had a relatively mild effect on the prices. Also the 3-year low diesel price index seemed not to have influenced the prices as strongly as expected. In general there is a positive correlation between the diesel price index and the price index, so we expected the prices to be even lower in Q1.”
More details can be found in the Transport Market Monitor on http://www.transportmarketmonitor.com
The Transport Market Monitor by Transporeon and Capgemini Consulting is a quarterly publication that aims to track transport market dynamics.
The aim of the Transport Market Monitor is to provide insights in the development of transport prices, and other transport market dynamics to logistics executives and other interest groups. It is a joint initiative from TRANSPOREON and Capgemini Consulting. The Index is based on the logistics platform TRANSPOREON on which shippers tender and process their transport needs to their preferred transport partners on a daily basis. Anonymously, information is unlocked from the platform and analysed by Capgemini Consulting. This results in monthly Indices which are published on a quarterly basis.
– ENDS –