Utrecht, 18th November 2014 – The twenty-first edition of the Transport Market Monitor (TMM) by Transporeon and Capgemini Consulting reveals that transport prices decreased by 0.6% in Q3 2014 compared to Q2 2014.
Main highlights of the report
- The price index decreased by 0.6% in Q3 2014 (index 99.4), compared to the price index in Q2 (index 100.0).
- When comparing to the index level of the previous year (index 100.0), Q3 2013, we see that the price index is also 0.6% lower.
- In Q3 2014, the diesel index decreased to an index 101.0 (-0.5%). and thus proves to remain fairly stable over three quarters.
- Despite the strong summer dip, the transport index reached the highest level of the year in September.
- The capacity index recovered from index 78.9 in Q2 2014 to index 86.6 (+9.8%) in Q3.
Erik van Dort, supply chain director at Capgemini Consulting notes: “For the fifth year in a row August showed a clear dip in transport prices. Remarkable is that at an equal capacity compared to last year, the price was considerably lower than last year and all previous 4 years in August. However, September brought a strong recovery of transport prices, bringing them to the highest level of the year at 102,4.”
Peter Förster, Managing Director of Transporeon, added: “The increase of transport prices in September is remarkable, since the diesel price index reached its lowest point of the year. It seems that currently other factors are having a higher influence on transport price development than the diesel price.”
More details can be found in the Transport Market Monitor on http://www.transportmarketmonitor.com
The Transport Market Monitor by Transporeon and Capgemini Consulting is a quarterly publication that aims to track transport market dynamics.
The aim of the Transport Market Monitor is to provide insights in the development of transport prices, and other transport market dynamics to logistics executives and other interest groups. It is a joint initiative from TRANSPOREON and Capgemini Consulting. The Index is based on the logistics platform TRANSPOREON on which shippers tender and process their transport needs to their preferred transport partners on a daily basis. Anonymously, information is unlocked from the platform and analysed by Capgemini Consulting. This results in monthly Indices which are published on a quarterly basis.
– ENDS –