Northern Regions – Trafford (Manchester), Liverpool, Sheffield and Newcastle
Some wider UK mobility may be required.
Successful candidates must be willing to undergo SC level Security Clearance.
With the coronavirus pandemic accelerating digital transformation around the globe, Capgemini, as a leading cloud and digital services supplier, is ideally placed to offer its employees and clients the benefits of more flexible working policies.
We believe that there are many benefits to our clients, our employees and our organisation of significantly increased remote working – including increased employee productivity, improved work/life balance for employees and greater corporate sustainability in line with our environmental ambitions. We also understand significant remote working can lead to employee wellbeing and satisfaction issues, if not appropriately supported.
Within our Capgemini UK Public Sector business, we have a remote working policy that gives autonomy and empowerment to our workforce . We believe this ultimately drives productivity and employee satisfaction, which in turn leads to satisfied clients and company success. Our policy recognises that everyone has different requirements, and needs clarity on expectations including: where and when people can work remotely; what equipment is provided; how regular and personalised two-way communication will take place; what security considerations are required around the work we do; how goals are set and successes celebrated; and how employee wellbeing is supported.
Capgemini is a client-led organisation, but we offer a remote-first working policy to our clients. Our expectation is that our employees can work for up to 70% of their time remotely in any given month. As our ethos is to provide excellent service to our clients, we will balance client needs with employee preferences where possible, but there will be times when we will ask you to attend meetings or collaboration events with clients either on client-site or in Capgemini offices. Typically this means that you could expect to travel to a site for work two or three times per month. Alternatively, If you’d prefer to work in an office with your client or colleagues more frequently than this, we can arrange this too.
In short, it’s all about finding a balance between client needs, employee preferences and reducing the impact of travel on the environment in a flexible and pragmatic way – but whatever your requirements for remote working, we believe that Capgemini can meet them, in a way that works for you, us and our clients.
Our policy also fully aligns us with UK Gov’s social value and sustainable development goals.
Who you’ll be working with
The UK Government is one of the most digitally advanced in the world recently coming top of the 2016 United Nations E-Government and E-Procurement surveys. Despite the progress, citizens feel that the country works for those who govern and not for citizens themselves. People want a more responsive state, they want change and they want it at pace and at scale. In response to those challenges, UK government has a bold IT vision based on user centric design, Agile development, open source software, continuous delivery, infrastructure automation, cloud computing and a DevOps culture. What it needs is partner organisations to help put this vision into practice. Capgemini are one of those partners, and we need people like you.
The focus of your role
Whilst you will be UK mobile, we will try to focus your role with our clients based in the north.
We want passionate, energetic Platform/DevOps Engineers to work as part of an agile team to help clients build and continuously improve digital services using the best of open source software. We’re looking for Engineers that aren’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and get stuck-in. You should learn quickly and love a challenge. Join us and help grow our already large and strong community of digital specialists, share ideas and innovate. You’ll be surrounded by some amazing people and working in one of the best cultures that you can find.
What you’ll do
- You’ll undertake cross-functional engineering projects, working in small teams with other engineers in different knowledge spheres, building supportable, sustainable and reliable services
- You’ll work with great engineers – at the end of the day it’s all about people. Capgemini has a team of great engineers who work together in a community and help each other to deliver and develop as professionals. We work on large scale, technically challenging projects
- You’ll work with great technology – the UK Government has an IT strategy based on user centric design, modern open source technology, continuous integration/delivery, and modern software architectures such as microservices and cloud technology to name but a few
- You’ll help us achieve our vision – the chance to make a real difference at the heart of the digital transformation within the UK Public Sector
- You’ll get opportunities to develop and progress – working on large scale, technically challenging projects. You will be constantly learning through modern learning environments such as Linux Academy, A Cloud Guru and the Capgemini University. You will have the opportunity to attend conferences, support tech meetups, take part in hackathons, gain industry recognised certification and much, much more..
What you’ll bring
We are looking for Platform/DevOps Engineers with an appetite to extend their knowledge and apply new skills rapidly on challenging projects. You’ll bring a broad range of experience in modern open source stacks, so don’t worry if you haven’t got strong experience in every skill listed below. If you can demonstrate a good selection of these skills, and a passion for developing exciting new technical skills, then we’d really like to talk to you.
Things we seek;
- Appetite for learning new technologies
- Experience debugging complex, multi-server service in a high availability production environment.
- Good communication skills both in written and verbal format with the ability to convey complex technical concepts clearly and concisely
- Extremely sound knowledge of GNU/Linux.
- Experience of building infrastructure in AWS using Terraform
- AWS certification (SysOps/Developer/Architect) – preferred but not essential
- Knowledge and experience of setting up and using configuration management tooling – Puppet preferred.
- Reasonable fluency in at least one of: Ruby, Go, Python
- Strong Understanding of CI environments and how they facilitate the automation process with other orchestration tools.
- Ability to converse with both internal and external stakeholders, holding the appropriate level of conversation at all times
Things we like;
- Linux (RHEL/CentOS)
- Core Networking & Loadbalancing
- Python / Ruby / Go
- Jenkins / Bamboo
- Git / GitHub / GitLab
- Graphite / Grafana / ELK / Prometheus
- SQL / NO-SQL DB’s
- Docker (Swarm / Kubernetes)
- HashiCorp (Packer / Terraform / Vault / Consul)
What we’ll offer you
Capgemini, along with its clients, creates and delivers digital solutions that fit their user needs, delivering innovation, competitiveness and high levels of user satisfaction. We specialise in agile custom software development and automated platform deployment at an enterprise scale. Our vision is to help our customers achieve their digital transformation objectives by providing innovative digital integration, insight, expertise and solutions.
You will be assigned to the Capgemini Digital Platform Engineering Unit working across a number of major Public Sector clients. Primarily working with Open Source software, the team are first and foremost engineers, putting Software Engineering and professionalism at the heart of delivery. You will get to work with a set of technologies and ways of working that are starting to define the industry as well as work with other top engineers, who are at the forefront of technology.
You’ll be working with exceptionally talented colleagues who will support you, and help you in turn to support your colleagues. You will be part of a unit that will be constantly innovating and you will play your part in shaping those innovations.
We’ll also offer you several weeks of training to help you develop your skills where appropriate. The training will be tailored to your needs, through a variety of online learning paths, and supported by mentoring, advice and guidance from your technical lead. Wherever possible, it will be backed up with industry recognised certification and hands on practical through a mini-project in our modern TechHub facility. Examples of target certifications include AWS (Architect, Developer, SysOps, DevOps), Azure (Developing Microsoft Azure Solutions), RedHat (RHCSA, RHCE, Ansible Automation etc..), Puppet, etc…
Why we’re different
At Capgemini, we help organisations across the world become more agile, more competitive and more successful. Smart, tailored, often ground-breaking technical solutions to complex problems are the norm. But so, too, is a culture that’s as collaborative as it is forward thinking. Working closely with each other, and with our clients, we get under the skin of businesses and to the heart of their goals. You will too.
Capgemini positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We are committed to hiring, developing and retaining the best people to deliver innovative, world-class solutions for our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that enables everyone to achieve their full potential and enjoy a fulfilling career with us. Our comprehensive flexible benefits package and lifestyle policies enable our employees to balance their individual, family and work-life needs.
This role is open to applications through our Relaunch@Capgemini programme for individuals who have been on a Career Break of between 2 and 10 years. We understand that you won’t necessarily match every requirement on the job description but please do apply for the vacancy that best meets your area of expertise. Further details on the programme can be found at https://www.capgemini.com/gb-en/careers/relaunchcapgemini/