Who you’ll be working with
Our Application Development & Integration (AD&I) Delivery Unit specialises in agile custom software development and integration at an enterprise scale.
Our capabilities cover a wide variety of Open Source and proprietary technologies with a strong focus on the JVM and CLR. All of our team are first and foremost engineers, putting Software Engineering and professionalism at the heart of delivery.
We are incredibly proud of our world class software engineering community; we invest in doing things right and have got plenty to say on the subject. Check out our blog written by engineers, for engineers: http://capgemini.github.io/
The focus of your role
The role of the Java Developer in AD&I is primarily focussed on developing and delivering software solutions for other people – our clients. This will include development of both client and server side software following recognised standards and patterns. With a demonstrable Agile mind-set and approach, you should have a love of development and exposure to a range of technologies.
What you’ll do
• Work on some of the most cutting edge Digital / Cloud-based architectures in development today
• Act as a designer, developer on delivery engagements for clients with responsibility for the specification, development, unit testing and implementation of complex multi-tier Applications
• Enhance existing applications due to changing customer needs and requirements
• Provide technical support for transition of the application into live service and support
• Take responsibility to ensure that projects deliver to time, cost and quality constraints
• Ensure that functional and non-functional requirements are appropriately implemented
What you’ll bring
• Excellent knowledge of Java and core open source technologies and frameworks; experience of building scalable, resilient applications
• Deep understanding of the core XP practices of TDD, Pair Programming, and Continuous Integration
• Experience of working in collaborative teams and working in an agile manner in a commercial environment
• You work best within a DevOps environment where you have a good practical awareness of the core concepts – including Continuous Delivery/Deployment using agile Configuration Management
• Some experience with / enthusiasm for another JVM language (e.g. Scala, Groovy, JRuby) is nice to have
• SC Security Clearance or eligibility for clearance.
What we’ll offer you:
Do you want to work with some of the best, most inspiring engineers in the UK? Do you want to be encouraged and recognised for giving back to the open source community? Do you want to be rewarded for striving to continually improve?
Coupled with the training, tooling, development and career progression of a large multinational business, this goes some way to describing what’s in it for you at Capgemini. We work with some of the world’s largest brands, in some of the most interesting and complex projects underway in modern IT.
Why we’re different
At Capgemini, we help organisations across the world become more agile, more competitive and more successful. Smart, tailored, often-groundbreaking technical solutions to complex problems are the norm. But so, too, is a culture that’s as collaborative as it is forward thinking. Working closely with each other, and with our clients, we get under the skin of businesses and to the heart of their goals. You will too.
Capgemini is proud to represent nearly 130 nationalities and its cultural diversity. Our holistic definition of diversity extends beyond gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, race, age and religion. Capgemini views diversity as everything that makes us who we are as an organization, including our social background, our experiences in life and work, our communication styles and even our personality. These dimensions contribute to the type of diversity we value the most: diversity of thought.
We want to make sure that we find the right people to work in our teams, and we know that working full-time isn’t necessarily right for everyone. So we’d love to hear from you if you feel you’re a great fit for this role, and would like to work flexibly. As an example, some of our team members work four days a week, but travel across the UK during their working days. Or you might prefer to work three days a week (in a job share scenario) with travel limited to Greater London. If you are the right person for this role, we’ll find the right working approach for you.