Any UK base
UK Base locations: London, Birmingham (Aston), Manchester (Sale), Newcastle, Blackpool, Telford, Rotherham and Woking.
Who you’ll be working with
The UK Government is one of the most digitally advanced in the world recently coming top of the 2016 United Nations E-Government and E-Procurement surveys. Despite the progress, citizens feel that the country works for those who govern and not for citizens themselves. People want a more responsive state, they want change and they want it at pace and at scale. UK government has a bold IT vision based on user centric design, Agile development, open source software, continuous delivery, infrastructure automation, cloud computing and a DevOps culture. What it needs is people to help put this vision into practice. What it needs is people like you.
You’ll be working for one of our major Public Sector clients. These include HM Revenue and Customs, Department for Work and Pensions, The Home Office, Ministry of Justice, Department for Education and the NHS amongst others with offices in Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester, Blackpool, Croydon, central London and many others. Working on site with a client can provide considerable benefits to a project such as faster decision making, reduced misunderstanding and closer collaboration but we understand very well that this has to be balanced with the need for flexible working.
The focus of your role
We want passionate, energetic software engineers to work as part of an agile team to help clients build and continuously improve digital services using the best of open source software. We’re looking for developers that aren’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and get stuck-in. You should learn quickly and love a challenge. Join us and help grow our community of digital specialists, share ideas and innovate. You’ll be surrounded by some amazing people and working in one of the best cultures that you can find.
What you’ll do
• You’ll work with great engineers – at the end of the day of the day it’s all about people. Capgemini has a team of great engineers who work together in a community and help each other develop. We work on large scale, technically challenging projects.
• You’ll work with great technology – the UK Government has an IT strategy based on user centric design, modern open source technology, continuous integration/delivery, and modern software architectures such as microservices and cloud technology to name but a few.
• You’ll help us achieve our vision – the chance to make a real difference at the heart of the digital transformation within the UK Public Sector.
• You’ll get opportunities to develop and progress – constant learning through modern learning environments such as Safari Online, A Cloud Guru and the Capgemini University. You will have the opportunity to attend conferences, support tech meetups, take part in hackathons and much, much more.
What you’ll bring
We are looking for software engineers with a broad range of experience in modern open source stacks, so don’t worry if you haven’t got strong experience in every skill listed below. If you can demonstrate a good selection of these skills, and a passion for developing exciting new technical skills, then we’d really like to talk to you.
• A strong software engineering background in Java.
• Working in client facing roles in an agile environment.
• Delivering web-based digital services, REST APIs and/or complex integration solutions.
• Hands-on experience of modern software architectures such as microservices.
• Development frameworks such as Spring, Play!, Dropwizard, Camel, AngularJS and React.
• Working with modern test tools and frameworks such as REST Assured, Cucumber, Mockito, WireMock and SonarQube.
• Relational and/or NoSQL databases.
• Core XP practices such as TDD, CI/CD and pair programming.
• Continuous delivery in a cloud-based environment.
• Working in a DevOps environment using tools like Jenkins, Puppet, Docker, Kubernetes etc.
What we’ll offer you
Capgemini, along with its clients, creates and delivers digital solutions that fit their user needs, delivering innovation, competitiveness and high levels of user satisfaction. We specialise in agile custom software development and integration at an enterprise scale. Our vision is to help our customers achieve their digital transformation objectives by providing innovative digital integration, insight, expertise and solutions.
You will be assigned to the Capgemini Public Sector Digital and DevOps Unit across a number of major Public Sector clients. Primarily working with Open Source software, the team are first and foremost engineers, putting Software Engineering and professionalism at the heart of delivery. You will get to work with a set of technologies and ways of working that are starting to define the industry as well as work with other top engineers, who are at the forefront of technology.
Why we’re different
At Capgemini, we help organisations across the world become more agile, more competitive and more successful. Smart, tailored, often-groundbreaking technical solutions to complex problems are the norm. But so, too, is a culture that’s as collaborative as it is forward thinking. Working closely with each other, and with our clients, we get under the skin of businesses and to the heart of their goals. You will too.
Capgemini positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We are committed to hiring, developing and retaining the best people to deliver innovative, world-class solutions for our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that enables everyone to achieve their full potential and enjoy a fulfilling career with us. Our comprehensive flexible benefits package and lifestyle policies enable our employees to balance their individual, family and work-life needs.