London or Woking with flexibility to travel.
Who you’ll be working with
The Capgemini Group has a global legal team of over 120 lawyers led from our Group Legal offices in Paris. Within that global team, there are local and regional legal teams of varying size. The UK Legal team currently consists of approximately 18 UK based lawyers, supported by lawyers based in India. It is part of a global legal team with its main role to support the Group’s business in the UK and Ireland. The legal team is motivated, enthusiastic and supportive and enjoys an excellent range of high quality legal work.
You will be working with the UK Legal team who sit in Core Services. Alongside our Market Units and other business units, Core Services is one of the major UK business communities. Core Services is at the heart of Capgemini UK – the engine room of our business. Core Services is a community of dedicated specialist professionals working to provide vital support and subject matter expertise to all aspects of the UK business. It encompasses a wide range of “HQ” functions including finance, real estate, IT, sustainability, human resources (HR), legal and marketing. Customer service is at the forefront of our work ethic and our community is committed to providing high-quality services to our customers, suppliers and employees, to support our vision of “Delivering quality services to drive profitable growth”.
The focus of your role
Capgemini is seeking to recruit very senior non-contentious IT/commercial lawyers to its UK Legal team. We have a bold and creative approach to providing business solutions and are looking for bright, talented, commercially experienced and astute lawyers. The successful candidate will work closely with a broad range of internal stakeholders and external clients and will advise on a wide variety of commercial issues and transactions, varying in nature, complexity and value, as well as ad hoc legal issues.
The successful candidate will enjoy a good degree of autonomy and will work on all phases of deals. In addition, the successful candidate will be part of the global legal team and will need to comply with and deploy locally the Group’s global contracting principles, business ethics and values as well as company policies.
The successful candidate will work closely with the General Counsel, UK & Ireland, to implement the global strategy of the business and the legal function and to define and implement the strategy specific to the UK & Ireland legal function. This will include an emphasis on people management in order to ensure that we retain and develop the best talent within our organisation.
Applications are welcomed from lawyers with contract law experience, whether or not already specialising in IT law and whether in-house or in private practice.
Although Capgemini is open to assessing candidates from diverse professional backgrounds, the responsibilities and skills required for the role are likely to favour candidates eligible to practice law in England & Wales, e.g., candidates holding or eligible to hold a practising certificate as a solicitor of England & Wales.
What you’ll do
The successful candidate will enjoy a degree of responsibility appropriate to a senior lawyer providing a full legal service, including:
• advising and providing strategic legal advice at a senior level on all phases of highly complex contracts for the provision of IT, outsourcing (including business process outsourcing) and consultancy services;
• supporting the General Counsel, UK & Ireland in the designing and implementing the overall strategic direction of the team, including by developing and implementing policies, with the potential to take the role of Deputy General Counsel, being capable of temporarily replacing the General Counsel during absences and for urgent and other delegated matters;
• supporting the Group’s compliance programme, raising regulatory compliance issues;
• managing other lawyers in the team, creating an effective team environment, identifying development needs of team members and set realistic objectives, including team members based in India;
• delivering occasional legal training and presentations to the business; and
• liaising with our external lawyers.
Ancillary roles will include providing legal sign-off on deals (including through the UK & Group legal sign-off processes), attending, development and presentation of legal training courses, policy drafting, assistance with dispute resolution (e.g., by managing external litigators) and working as part of the global legal team on global initiatives, including on occasions international transactions.
What you’ll bring
• Excellent grasp of general commercial and contract law, allied to strong commercial skills and understanding and subject-matter expertise and thought leadership;
• Ability to manage and lead complex special projects, including the legal support of large value and complex bids and transactions, with a strategic outlook and ability to support direction-setting for the legal team and the business and advise internal stakeholders on the related business risks with an eye on long-term internal and external effect;
• Strong leadership, influencing and decision-making skills – proven stakeholder management and capable of forging relationships with top management, senior executives, business managers, team members, clients and third parties;
• Empathetic style and valuing of diversity;
• Ability to work successfully as part of a team, foster knowledge-sharing and lead and coach small teams, including those located outside the UK;
• Awareness of the external business environment applicable to Capgemini.
What we’ll offer you
Professional development. Accelerated career progression. An environment that encourages entrepreneurial spirit. It’s all on offer at Capgemini. And although collaboration is at the core of the way we work, we also recognise individual needs with a flexible benefits package you can tailor to suit you.
We want to make sure that we find the right people to work in our teams, and we know that working full-time isn’t necessarily right for everyone. So we’d love to hear from you if you feel you’re a great fit for this role, and would like to work flexibly.
Why we’re different
At Capgemini, we help organisations across the world become more agile, more competitive and more successful. Smart, tailored, often-groundbreaking technical solutions to complex problems are the norm. But so, too, is a culture that’s as collaborative as it is forward thinking. Working closely with each other, and with our clients, we get under the skin of businesses and to the heart of their goals. You will too.
Capgemini positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We are committed to hiring, developing and retaining the best people to deliver innovative, world-class solutions for our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that enables everyone to achieve their full potential and enjoy a fulfilling career with us. Our comprehensive flexible benefits package and lifestyle policies enable our employees to balance their individual, family and work-life needs.