The greatest environmental impact we can have is through the services we deliver to our clients. We have an ambition to help our clients save 10 million carbon tonnes by 2030.
Ensuring technology enables a sustainable future
Companies around the world are investing heavily in minimizing their environmental impacts and seeking to be more resource efficient. Increasingly clients are asking us about the carbon impacts of the services we provide, and the potential for technology to help them address their sustainability challenges.
As a responsible business, we want to play a leadership role in ensuring technology creates a sustainable future, particularly enabling our clients to be smarter about their resources in the products and services they create. The ICT sector has the potential to cut 9.7 times more greenhouse gases than it produces and our position as a leading technology services provider working with some of the world’s largest companies puts us in a unique position to leverage all our capabilities, expertise and solutions to help our clients.
Dr James Robey, Global Head of Environmental Sustainability talks about the need for clients to get smarter about using resources
Our services and capabilities
We have been building on strong foundations in supporting our clients’ sustainability ambitions. Recently we have been developing a deeper understanding of the carbon benefits across our services and market sectors. To date, we have identified over 30 capabilities from with in our portfolio that can help clients reduce their carbon emissions. Here are some of examples of the ways our services are already helping clients reduce their environmental impacts:
- Developing sustainable technology. For example, using artificial intelligence to analyze and optimize energy consumption in a water utility company.
- Creating sustainable business models. For example, centralizing a retail company’s stock procurement model to reduce the emissions from transporting goods and waste from uncoordinated purchasing plans.
- Leveraging data and insights to drive sustainable performance. For example, visualizing a manufacturer’s energy consumption and carbon emission data to enable identification of opportunities to reduce impacts.
- Providing managed services that increase efficiency. For example, our energy savings as a service product has helped cut a utility company’s energy consumption by 20% per annum.
- Optimizing assets to reduce emissions and consumption. For example, installing transport management systems helps optimizing client’s fleets and logistics, reducing fuel consumption, costs and carbon emissions.
- Providing platforms that enable sustainable technologies. For example, helping energy utilities implement smart meters and smart grids enables better management of supply and demand, and integration of renewable energy.
In addition, we have a range of environmental sustainability capabilities and tools to supplement our delivery – for example we have developed a carbon calculator tool that give us the ability to measure carbon impacts of our services and the energy consumption model that helps understand the true lifestyle cost of IT estate transformation.
- Service Carbon Impact Calculator: Our carbon calculator enables us to understand the carbon savings our services provide our clients. This calculator can be used to provide carbon savings to supplement our business case and differentiate us in the market, as well as drive informed Carbon Conversations with clients.
- Energy Consumption Model: The Energy Consumption Model is a highly detailed model for understanding the true lifestyle cost of IT estate transformation from an energy and carbon perspective. It takes into account the energy consumption of IT hardware, from servers and networks through to end user devices and embodied carbon during device manufacture to understand the net environmental impact of IT estate rationalization, refreshment and transformation.
We work with clients to understand their sustainability agendas and identify how our technology can contribute towards those challenges, working to use technology to reduce carbon emissions, and ultimately working to create sustainable solutions.