Today our new Merlin data centre officially opened. Located in Swindon, UK, it is a state-of-the-art facility that breaks new ground in terms of data centre design and construction principles providing our clients with cost-effective, secure, resilient, flexible and environmentally considerate services. Sustainability has been at the heart of the Merlin project – all the way from location selection, design and construction, through to the day-to-day operation of the site. Among Merlin’s key sustainability achievements are:
- An expected PUE (Power Usage Effectiveness) of 1.10
- Built to LEED standard – an independent and internationally recognized green building accreditation.
- A fresh air cooling system that delivers 80% savings in run costs and produces up to 50% less carbon emissions
- Power savings of 91% compared to an ‘industry average’ data centre (with a PUE of 2.5)
- The elimination of batteries in the Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) thanks to the application of innovative flywheel technology.