Part 2 (2)
Digital Beginners should be moved, both by carrot and stick, up in digital maturity. The right environment is key including not only technology, but also social, economical, political and regulatory.
Governments, regulators and policy makers have a role to play here. Or actually two key missions. First, they need to enable businesses to drive their digital transformation through access to financial capital, ICT infrastructure and talent. Second, they need to drive their own digital transformation. Take advantage of the new technology to provide better services, to operate better internally and to re-think their own role/strategy. Public sector and institutions should consider the following enablers:
- Stimulate growth of ICT infrastructure. Access to highly penetrated and well functioning communication services.
- Stimulate education. Education as an industry has a long way to go to embrace digital – but we start to see online education, gamification in schools etc.
Open up, take part in and contribute to the digital economy
- Social / collaboration: collaborate across government entities and with businesses and citizens to innovate and co-create new goods and services for the benefit of society
- Mobile: digitize data, provide digital services with access any time anywhere any device – including work cross-border, to facilitate mobility of people, devices, business operations
- Analytics: Open up and enable access to public sector information. Apply analytics to public sector information, government services and data for both internal benefits and to generate insights for external stakeholders
- Cloud: Apply cloud technology, ensure data and information access, provide as a service – dynamic and on demand. Standardized and harmonized
Similar to the private companies I advise, to drive their digital transformation across both What they do and How they do it, so should institutions. Driving the What, they need to take a holistic approach in the use of digital technologies to improve not only customer engagement, but also internal operations and the overall business model and strategy. Driving the How, they need to find the leadership, vision, governance, competence and culture to ensure success.
Head of Digital Strategy & Transformation
Capgemini Consulting, Sweden & Finland