All around me I see new social sites being created. Companies, organizations and governments have all become convinced of the use and value of crowd wisdom. Much investment is put into the development of new social applications for customers, employees, members and citizens. I have said it before: social media is blazing hot right now. To back this, I have collected some stats:
- Facebook has over 140 million users and gets 600.000 new members each day.
- Twitter's user count grows at a steady pace of 100.000 per month and should have arrived at 1 million users somewhere mid 2008.
- Ning currently hosts over 700.000 social networks.
- LinkedIn has over 30 million members and its growth rate supposedly outpaces Facebook.
- Wikipedia has over 2 million articles and about 75.000 regular editors.