A UK-based consumer packaged goods (CPG) company had initiated an order management operating model transformation project. This aimed at creating more integrated touchless processes that would lead to end-to-end supply chain excellence, and included the rollout of a distributor management system.
Our client experienced several challenges during the pilot phase and implemented Capgemini’s structured assessment approach to identify two main root causes:
- Retailers and distributors were not able to locate the correct item code while placing an order, leading to low customer satisfaction and slow speed to market
- Inconsistent promotions were applied across the same product family, leading to direct top-line impact.
The root cause of these challenges was found to be inconsistent, inaccurate, and not well-maintained data. More specifically, the material master data was not being maintained consistently and centrally, meaning there was no standard definition for data or business rules for material attributes, which was leading to inconsistent data and a loss of sales.
Successful implementation of our assessment and a new supply chain data operating model led to:
- Reduce time-to-market for new products from 80 days to 17 days
- Over 99% increase in supply chain data quality
- 50% increase in efficiency and cost optimization
- Global centralized data management ways of working.
Capgemini’s standardization effort enabled our clients to deploy more intelligent automation tools and benefit from increased productivity in their customer fulfillment.