Ten years ago this year, Capgemini started its first Employee Resource Group: OUTfront! Since its inception, OUTfront celebrates its decennial by doing what it does best: providing a forum for education and awareness, and supporting the professional growth of LGBTQA+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Allies, and others) employees at Capgemini. The group started small, but determined in its quest to create safe and progressive spaces for the LGBTQA+ community our global network. Fruits of OUTfront’s labor are numerous to count, and the impact the group has had runs deep throughout Capgemini and the community it serves.
- For the last six years, OUTfront Burbank has lead the philanthropic charge by example, raising almost $30 000 in their AIDS Walks initiatives in Los Angeles. In 2013 alone, the fundraising campaign brought in $14 000 from nine cities across the United States, making this the biggest fundraising initiative from a Capgemini employee resource group to date.
- On April 21, 2012, Capgemini SAP consultants and friends organized the Out for Undergraduate Technology Conference (OUTC) in Menlo Park, CA at Facebook global headquarters. The team raised more than $100,000 from 20 sponsor firms through this event.
- 2012 also saw expansion in Capgemini’s Equal Employment Opportunity policy, expanding the policy language to include gender identity and gender expression.
- OUTfront & Capgemini is now celebrating its five year commitment to recruiting LGBTQA+ professional talent in Canada, with its entrenched history in the OUT on Bay Street Conference and organization. OUTfront has actively recruited from the conference, as well as has prominent roles as roundtable speakers at various events in Canada.
- OUTfront has consistently ranked highly in recent years on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index (HRC CEI), used internationally to reflect the leading policies and benefit infrastructure designed to empower the LGBTQA+ workforce. OUTfront has lead Capgemini to its highest scores first in 2013 and again in 2016, with an almost perfect score of 90!
- Starting off 2017 with a big win, OUTfront successfully campaigned for and won the inclusion of transgender health benefits for Capgemini America’s employees. This is now part of the benefits offered as of 1/1/2017.
OUTfront continues to be imperative to the progress and enfranchisement of our growing and impressive LGBTQA+ workforce. On our 10 year anniversary, we reflect on the great strides we have taken to bring us to where we are today at Capgemini. There is still much work to be done, and OUTfront maintains its charge to actively work as an employee resource group for the continued educational and awareness programming for the LGBTQA+ and Capgemini community at large.
For any questions to learn more about OUTfront, please reach out to Braden Thompson & Warren Pinto at firstname.lastname@example.org, or our North American Diversity & Inclusion Team at email@example.com.
Warren Pinto wrote this article. He is based out of Toronto, Canada. He is the one of the North American Leads for OUTfront. Prior to joining Capgemini, Warren worked in the fields of telecommunications, retail strategy, and academia. His most recent academic research addresses public institutions involved with nation branding initiatives for developing industries. Warren holds a B. Comm (Hons.) from the University of Manitoba and an M. Sc from the University of Guelph. In his spare time, he enjoys travelling to rural areas, reading non-fiction, and going to trivia nights.