Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c has been released about two weeks ago now, and I have had the joy to be playing around with it for a bit. One of the things that has surprised me a lot, is the ease of installation of EM12c. Other bloggers have covered this before, so I will not go into the installation here.
A feature that I would like to show is the ease of deploying the EM12c Agent to other servers. The EM12c Agent is a little program, installed on a separate server that hosts middleware, a database environment or other type of applications. This agent sends all relevant data back to EM12c which enables an administrator to keep an overview on the complete environment. In EM11g deployment of the agent was not that easy. However, Oracle have stepped it up in this release of EM12c, and the deploying of the Agent is now relatively simple.
This installation is based upon a Linux environment.
There are a few pre-requisites:
- Personally, I like to use the hostname of servers, so I can identify them directly. To be able to do this, add an entry in /etc/hosts on the EM12c server, which contains the IP Address and hostname of the target-server, e.g.:
- Add the EM12c server to the /etc/hosts file of the target machine, e.g:
- Make sure that your firewall is not blocking traffic over port 3872, otherwise you will not receive data from the Agent.
- For “Full” Automatic setup:
o Add the oracle user on the target server to the /etc/sudoers file.
o Remove the requiretty option from the /etc/sudoers file
o Make sure the visiblepw option is set in the /etc/sudoers file
o Locate the sudo command, and write down the path somewhere. It is usually in /usr/bin, but can also be in /usr/local/bin.
- Installation Base Directory: e.g. /opt/oracle/emagent
- Instance Directory, this is automatically filled, after filling the Installation Base Directory field.
- Named Credential: I create a new one per host. Click on the + sign and enter the details, such as username and password, as relevant to your environment
Ben Hählen – Oracle Environment Specialist